These crispy vegan hash brown potatoes are so delicious, that once you’ve tasted them you will never be able to tolerate any other kind.
Hash Brown Ingredients:
1 Large Size White Potato
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Shredded Daiya Cheese
(choose your own flavor)
- 1 Bottle Ketchup, Mustard and/or Hot Sauce
You Will Also Need:
- 1 Stainless Steel Grater
- 1 Flat Working Surface
- 1 Kitchen Terry Cloth Kitchen Towel
- 1 Roll Paper Towels
- 1 Medium Size Skillet with Lid
- 1 Metal Spatula
- Pour the canola oil into a medium size skillet and set over medium-high heat.
- Spread a terry cloth kitchen towel on a flat working surface and two layers of paper towels on top of it.
- Peel the potato and shred it in a coarse grater.
- Evenly spread out the shredded potato on top of the paper towels and cover them with another double layer of paper towels.
- Grab an edge of the terry cloth kitchen towel and roll it up tightly along with all its contents.
- Take the roll between both of your hands and squeeze as hard as you can.
- Unroll the towel and its contents and sprinkle evenly with sea salt.
- Immediately transfer the salted shredded potato into the skillet and spread it out evenly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and, using the back of a metal spatula, press the shredded potato against the bottom of the skillet.
- While occasionally pressing them down, allow the caked potato shreds to cook undisturbed until they have turned brown on the bottom side.
- Using the metal spatula very carefully, turn the caked potato shreds over.
- Sprinkle with Daiya cheese, turn the heat down to low, cover the skillet and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Lift one corner to ensure that the caked potato shreds have browned on the bottom side.
- To soak up access oil, slide the caked hash brown potatoes onto a double layer of paper towels.
- While still hot, slice into wedges and serve with ketchup, hot sauce and/or mustard.